Design Study Program in Georgia
Objectives of the Programme:
Bachelor’s in Visual Arts Programmesaims to give students a wide range of knowledge in art and design, in particular in painting, communication design and interior design. Students will be able to: critically review current trends and movements in fields of painting, communication and interior design; put theoretical knowledge into practice in painting and design. The programmes also aims to prepare qualified artists and specialists in the field of art, competitive on the labour market.
Students enrolled in Bachelor’s in Visual Arts Programmeswill receive the most up-to-date knowledge and expertise in visual arts, communication design and interior design, ensuring their competitiveness in the labor market and a potential to have a successful career – considering that the programs was developed in accordance with the best art programs of world’s leading educational institutions. Also considering that the professors of the programmes are practicing painters, artists, and communication and interior designers who in parallel to a teaching career have an active and successful professional career as well. After receiving the bachelor’s degree, graduates can be employed in various companies, state or non-governmental organizations, including, but not limited to:
- art galleries, museums and art auctions;
- advertising agencies;
- interior design and architectural companies;
- with independent artists.
Graduates could also develop a portfolio and start their own business.
Ultimately, graduates of the Bachelor’s in Visual Arts Programmes will have very wide employment perspectives, as they can be employed in galleries, museums, advertising agencies, media companies, interior and design companies, self-employed. Graduates will also be able to continue their studies at the second level of higher education.
Knowledge and Understanding:
- Wide range of knowledge and understanding in fine arts, namely, in the art of painting and visual arts, which includes a critical understanding of theories and principles; understanding of complex issues in painting and visual art; knowledge of the various stages and developments of art history; knowledge of the basic criteria and characteristics of certain epochs and regions/countries, cultural achievements, basic artistic and aesthetic characteristics of the exhibits , through the prism of an artistic-aesthetic value; knowledge of the basics and typical characteristics of the field; knowledge of the principles of identification /classification of art specimens; technical drawing skills, as well as knowledge of the expression and the visual perception of the main processes in painting.
- Graduates of interior design concentration will receive the following competences: knowledge of the necessary components of the design-processes that will be used in the projects, as well as basic knowledge of interior design materials and standards; interior design skills, including critical understanding of its theories and principles; experience of working independently and in a group on the interior design projects; ability to conduct spatial analysis, create and fine-tune a design concept, including technical specifications; ability to give a verbal, as well as visual presentation of their artwork.
- Understanding of the basic principles of marketing and management of modern cultural institutions; understanding of the world art history and all the major periods of artistic progress (Prehistoric, Ancient, Medieval, Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Rococo, Neoclassicism, Romanticism, Realism, Impressionism, Post-impressionism), as well as the principles of analysing their characteristics and mutually distinctive features.
- Graduates of communication design concentration will receive the following competences: understanding of the traditional and modern trends and directions in graphic design, basic principles of analysis and (graphic) programs, as well as methods of elaboration and realisation of a design project; knowledge of the history of design, understanding of the world of graphic design – where is the origin of this art and at which level is it developed.
Putting Knowledge into Practice:
- Ability to solve problems and perfect the skill of painting, using visual arts’, interior and communication design’s characteristics; ability to carry out research and/or practical projects;
- ability to put the knowledge and skills into practice, to conduct art and design researches and manage artistic careers;
- ability to plan and manage creative processes; ability to select and use relevant research methods (formal analysis; comparative analysis; artistic analysis);
- ability to use drawing techniques in relevant creative process; ability to create painting works;
- Interior design graduates will have the ability to independently create interior designs, connecting technical details together with existing restrictions and standards in harmony with each other.
- Communication design graduates will have the ability to use creative thinking and will obtain a sophisticated visual understanding, comprehension of the basics of graphical design expression and capabilities in order to independently work in graphical programs.
Ability to Make Conclusion:
- Graduates will have theability to collect, interpret and generalize field-specific data, also analyse sporadic data and/or events, using standard or some specific methods. Additionally, graduates will also be able to form a justified conclusion.
- Graduates of interior design will be able to work independently for both residential and commercial spaces, which include: conducting space analysis; study client/customer profiles and requirements; establishing, refining/fine-tuning, implementing their concept, as well as conducting critical evaluation and analysis of the final design concept.
- Graduates of communication design will be able to form/create an original (visual) concept, including its elaboration before the implementation stage and then adjusting it to appropriate visual techniques. Graduates will be able to work independently on tasks involving visualization of information.
Graduates will be able to: prepare a detailed written report on ideas, current problems and solutions, as well as exchange the information with specialists and non-specialists in Georgian and English languages; use modern information and communication technologies; participate in debates, discussions and public dialogue about field-specific issues; conduct written and oral presentation in Georgian and English languages; work in teams.