Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University
Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University was founded in 1918 owing to the leadership and huge effort of a famous Georgian historian Ivane Javakhishvili and the group of his followers.
It was the first and the only educational body of this type in Caucasus by that time. Today Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University is a major scientific educational complex consisting of 3 scientific-research and an educational-scientific institution, 8 branches, 22 faculties in the regions, 81 scientific-research laboratories, study centers and bases, the Grigol Tsereteli scientific library, 7 museums, publishing house, printing press, art and cultural center, University general educational schools, colleges, a Lyceum.
On 25 April the university scientific council adopted “The Concepts of University Education”, according to which the University has entirely transferred to a two-stage form of study. At the first stage — Bachelor’s course — general university and special instruction is offered, whereas at the second stage — Master’s course — excellent bachelors (approximately 30% of the graduates of the Bachelor’s course) master a chosen specialization.
At present Tbilisi State University has fulltime, part-time as extra-mural departments.
The student body consists of more than 30.000 students,11.000 of them study at the braches, and more than 19.000 at the leading University (12.500 students — at Bachelor’s course, 1.500 — at Master’s course, 5.000 — at single-stage course of instruction). Up to 5000 collaborators of the University are involved in the instruction of students, more than 2.000 professors and lecturers (including up to 700 at the branches) among them.
Many scholars and scientists of world renown, members of various foreign academies and international branch societies deliver lectures at Tbilisi University, the leader of higher education in Georgia. 42 members and 24 corresponding members of the Georgian Academy of Sciences conduct the training of postgraduates and competitions for scientific degrees is under way at the University chairs and scientific-research subdivisions, 26 boards for conferring scientific degrees in almost all areas of science and scholarship function at the University.
Medical education was restored at the university in 1994, the tradition of medical education was revived — originally the specialty of medicine was opened at the faculty of biology and medicine, and the faculty of medicine became an independent unit in 2000. The assembly of University clinics was founded, the educational bases of which are distinguished for their powerful material and technical equipment and highly qualified scientific-intellectual potential, the Center for the Management of Health Care and the Department for Continuous Medical Education were opened, the board of trustees of medicine and medical information service were founded. The University diagnostic center provides the health care of the professors and lecturers and collaborators of the University.
The University has eight branches in the country — in Sukhumi, Meskheti, Ozurgeti, Sighnaghi (kakheti), Zugdidi, Qvemo Qartli, Javakheti and Poti.
Exact and Natural Sciences
The faculty has eight departments, in mathematics, physics, chemistry, geography,
computer sciences, biology, geology, electric and electronic engineering. 11 bachelor, 18 master and 10 doctoral degree programs operate at the faculty.
History and Present Day:
The Faculty of Humanities of the Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University is the successor of the Faculty of Philosophy of the first Georgian University established in 1918.
The mission of the faculty is to promote the introduction of modern researches and methodologies, the development of scientific work and research-based educational activities in the fields of humanities.
Social and Political Sciences
In May 2005, during the university reforms, six faculties were established out of 22 faculties at Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University, the Faculty of Political and Social Sciences was one of them. The mission of the faculty is to prepare qualified specialists through education and research and to develop social science.
The faculty has seven educational-scientific directions and offers its students the following Bachelor, Master, and Doctoral programs:
Political Science, Journalism, International Relations, Human Geography, Sociology and Social Work.
Psychology and Educational Sciences
In October 2014 the direction of psychology was separated from the Faculty of Social and Political Sciences, and the Teaching and Research Institute of Pedagogy was separated from the Faculty of Humanities. Thus, the Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences was established as a result of merger of the above-mentioned educational directions. Presently about 1400 students are undergoing their studies at the Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences (three stages of education) and about 60 professors are teaching them; 4 bachelor’s degree programs and up to 15 master’s and doctoral degree programs are being implemented at the faculty.
Economics and Business
The Faculty of Economics and Business was established as an independent entity at the Tbilisi State University in 1931 on the basis of the Social-Economic Faculty founded in 1922. Until 1944, the Faculty of Economics was the first and the only educational and research center in the country. Now nearly all Georgian universities offer courses in economics, where lectures are delivered by the alumni of the Faculty of Economics.
Until 2005 four faculties of the Tbilisi State University (Faculty of Economics, Microeconomics and Management, Marketing and Commerce, International Business) were preparing specialists in the field of economic and business. Establishment of the Faculty of Economics and Business, which is the largest faculty at the Tbilisi State University, is the result of the reforms that have been carried out in Georgian educational system and in TSU in 2005.
The country’s political unification and strengthening, economic growth and development created all necessary grounds for cultural development in Georgia that can perfectly be confirmed by the existence of cultural-educational centers of Gelati and Ikalto.
The history of higher medical education originates from October 1918 when the Faculty of Medicine was established at the Tbilisi State University. Since May 1919, by decision of the Board of Professors, the Medical Faculty continued to exist as an independent unit until 1930 when the Tbilisi State Medical Institute was founded on the basis of the Medical Faculty.
In 1995, higher medical education was restored at Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University, first at the Faculty of Biology and Medicine as medical specialization, and in 2000 as an independent faculty.
The faculty runs one-tier academic programs for physicians and dentists. Since 2006, within the framework of TEMPUS project, there has been operating a new bachelor program in occupational therapy in full accordance with the Bologna Process and Tuning Methodology. In clinical and theoretical departments of the faculty, teaching process is conducted in the leading medical institutions. Distinguished students receive professional training in Germany, at the academic study clinics of the Universities of Leipzig and Dresden.
The faculty is running alternative to residency post-diploma academic programs, as well as Master’s (Public Health, Epidemiology and Biostatistics) and Doctoral programs.
TSU has no central campus, its buildings are spread over the city. The oldest building is #1 where the administration of the university is seated. In the yard of the 1st TSU campus lie the founders of Tbilisi State University, whose names imply establishment and development of various scientific schools in Georgia. The Pantheon of Tbilisi State University is one of the special cultural and historical places.
Board of Representatives
The Board of Representatives is the university representative body, which is elected by the faculties. Senate members are elected separately from the students and the academic personnel in proportion to their number at each structural unit.
The Board of Representatives is elected from within the university on the basis of general, direct and equal elections, by secret ballot. Students comprise one-third of the board. The board includes a representative from the University’s library.
The Academic Council is the highest representative body of the university. Council is elected by the members of the faculties academic personnel and those representatives of students’ self-governance who are the members of faculty council, on the basis of direct, free and equal elections, by secret ballot. Only professors may be elected as the members of the Academic Council.
The Rector is the highest academic authority of the university, serves as a chair of the Academic Council, represents the university in academic and research spheres both domestically and internationally. The Rector is elected by the majority vote of Academic Council members, through secret ballot.
The Chancellor is the highest administrative manager at the university in the sphere of financial issues, material and human resources and represents the institution in financial and economic relationships.
The Chancellor is nominated by the Academic Council and approved by the Board of Representatives, through secret ballot. The term of office of the Chancellor is four years.
There are museums of History, Georgian Emigration, Mineralogy, Geology and Paleontology, Geography, Zoology and Botany.
The five dormitories can accommodate up to 2200 living rooms.
The University has eight branches in Sukhumi, Meskheti, Ozurgeti, Sighnaghi (kakheti), Zugdidi, Qvemo Qartli (Marneuli), Javakheti and Poti.
University schools are Ivane Javakhishvili school N53, the N. Muskhelishvili school N55, prof. T. Georgia physical-mathematical boarding school, Tbilisi lyceum, Rustavi gymnasium, Gurjaani college and Khobi school.
Duration of Programs in Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University
Duration of the course in Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University varies from 4 to 6 years depending on the chosen program.
Intake for Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University
The course at University of Georgia usually commences in March & September. It is one of the Most Reputed Universities in Georgia. They have limited seats for international students. Admission Process is Always open, Students better start applying for this University as soon as possible Because the Seats are Limited.
Medium of Teaching in English
The medium of instruction for All Programs is English.
Required Documents for Programs in Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University
- Grade 12th Results. (Equivalent to A-Level)
- 1 Passport-size photo
- Transfer Certificate (For Transferring Students)
- Transcript of Grades & Syllabus (For Transferring Students)
To Apply Send your Documents to TSU@Study-Georgia.ge
Eligibility for Admission in Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University
The Basic Eligibility for All Programs in Georgia at the Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University
- High School Diploma
- English medium education
- Valid passport
- Good Level of English writing and speaking skills
Programs Available in Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University
- Computer Sciences
- General Medicine / Medical Doctor